Sun protection is not always something that we think about on a regular basis. But we should because we’re exposed to the suns’ rays daily and we spend even more time out in the sun during the warm spring and summer months.
Personally, I love to spend summer weekends at Cherry Grove, Fire Island just sitting on the beach or eating gelato in a tiny quaint cafe. Summer, with it soaring temperatures brings me out of my hibernation and I just love basking in the sun just taking in all of the warm energy and beautiful skies. But one thing that I always carry with me in the summer is my sunscreen because I’ve experienced sunburn before and it’s not pretty. So now I make it a habit to protect my skin to keep it healthy. And I came across a few simple sunscreen tips that we all need to be reminded of before the heat wave hits, so I decided to share them with you!
- Use a sunscreen product with at least SPF 30, and make sure it blocks both UVA and UVB rays. When applying sunscreen on your face make sure that its noncomedogenic so that it won’t clog your pores.
- Apply your sunscreen every day, not just in the summer or on sunny days. Even if it is winter, cloudy, or hazy, use sunscreen.
- When you apply sunscreen, don’t forget hidden areas like your neck, the back of your hands, feet and the tips of your nose and ears, which are all areas that get a lot of sun exposure but are often overlooked. Especially vulnerable are the tops of the ears, where skin cancer loves to make a debut.
- Reapply your sunscreen every few hours and again after you’ve been in the pool or ocean.
- Use sun-protecting lip balm with SPF.
- Women are more susceptible to sun damage the week before a menstrual period, so apply extra sunscreen.
- The sun’s ultraviolet rays are most intense between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. so try to avoid being outside during those hours. If you do have to be out, wear long sleeves and a hat with a wide bring and of course carry your sunscreen.
#6 is news to me! Thanks for insight. I know the ozone is almost non-existent now. I was at the beach with the children on Monday (it was a holiday here and yes warm enough to bake at the beach!) We wore 60 SPF sunscreen, reapplying every 2 hours and still got good tans. So I know you have to be careful.
Using a high SPF and applying it every two hours is excellent. But yes we still have to be careful about too much sun exposure.
Summer is the best season to have fun in the sun. It is always best that we use sunblock as an essential. Aside from applying SPF 60, I also make sure too keep my skin hydrated and avoid to much sun exposure.