Regularly cleaning your makeup brushes is key to healthy skin and a smooth makeup application. Makeup brushes can harbor bacteria and dirt which can lead to breakouts. Makeup brushes also absorb body oils and dead skin cells so they need to be cleaned to preserve the life of the brushes. It is generally recommended that makeup brushes be cleaned after each use, this can be as simple as wiping the brush hairs with a baby wipe. On a weekly basis (especially if you use your tools daily, you should wash them), now while there are many cleaners on the market here’s how to clean your makeup brushes.
- Gather all of your used makeup brushes, a clean towel and baby shampoo
- Turn on the faucet and allow the water to reach a lukewarm temperature. Run the bristles of the brush under the flowing water. (You may start to see the makeup tinted water.)
- Now apply a small amount (a drop or two) of shampoo into the palm of your hand and gently massage the bristles in your palm.
- Rinse the bristles until the water runs clear.
- Gently squeeze the water out of the brushed from base to tip, lay the brush down on a flat surface and reshape it. (Do not ever use a hair dryer to dry your brushes!)
Lastly do not boil, microwave or use conditioner on your brushes, that will damage them. It’s also best not to dry your brushes in an upright position because the water can seep into the base and loosen the glue that keeps the bristles in place.
So I’m curious, how do you keep your brushes clean?